The Chalet "Saint-Joseph, La Balmette", located in French Alps, is situated very conveniently, at an altitude of 1200m, just 2 km away from the town of Reposoir, in Haute-Savoie, near Cluses. It overlooks the whole village, and an ancient Chartreuse monastery as well, and offers a breathtaking panorama of surrounding mountains. Former Chartreuse farmhouse was transformed into a spiritual retreat center for groups involved in charitable, educational, social and cultural activities, as well for families. It was completely rebuilt after a fire had it completely destroyed in January 2015, and currently meets all applicable safety standards.
It is accessed primarily using a road from the town of Reposoir leading to the Col de la Colombière. But you can also access it from the other side of the pass, open from May to October, overlooking the Grand-Bornand valley.
It offers skiing possibilities in winter, and excellent marked hike routes in the Bargy massif and at the foot of the Aravis.
It is located in the center of a large tourist region, 40 / 50kms from Geneva, Annecy or Chamonix.
- Game room
Most popular amenities
- Game room
- Ramp for people with reduced mobility
- Tennis (2 tennis courts in Le Reposoir village)
- Swimming pool in Cluses and Le Grand Bornand
Themes of the cottage
History of the place
The town of Le Reposoir owes its name to the Chartreux Abbey, which was founded in 1151 by the Spanish monk Jean d'Espagne, originally from the so-called Grande Chartreuse, main Chartreux abbey, located near Grenoble, having been invited to come by the landowner Aymon Premier.
The valley inhabited by wild animals thanks to the monks has been transformed into a valley inhabited by domestic animals for breeding and grazing. The monks prayed and worked on the earth. After many difficulties and experiences related to the French Revolution, destruction and pillage, and finally the expulsion of the monks in 1901, the monastery was transformed into a hotel.
In 1922 Aleksandra di Rudini, the daughter of the Italian Prime Minister, became the new owner and after his conversion joined Carmel. In 1932 the monastery was renovated and became Carmel. The monastery currently has 15 Carmelite sisters.